Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Tonight

The kids have been sick. Last night we were up all night with what I can only refer to as 'The Great Cough Off of 2015'. Both the girls came into our bed and proceeded to cough louder and harder than the one before. They cuddled their fevery little bodies on us and wiggled around and coughed and coughed and wiggled some more. 
We took the day off school in hopes to kick the crud. But tonight it started all over again. Hazel's temp was 104 and she wouldn't eat dinner. Charlotte was in good spirits and had finally broken the fever but the damn cough just won't leave her alone. We've tried everything we know to do... Steamy bathroom, cold air outside, humidifier, Vick's on the bottoms of her feet, elevated by pillows, cough suppressant, hot tea and honey and nothing will touch it. 
Around 11pm she was in the steamy bathroom and got "too hot", I went to her room to fetch her Ariel nightgown while Jake sat in the bathroom cuddling her. I left the door cracked to cool her down and in the brief moment that I walked down the hall the steam seeped out into the hallway and set the smoke detector off. Actually it set off ALL the smoke detectors in the house. Beep. Beep. Beeeeeep! 
The alarms freaked Birdie out and she ran down the hall to me. (Hazel remained  fast asleep in Codine-land.) Jake came rushing out of the bathroom and went to manually turn off the beeping but somehow in the process managed to fall off the tiny pink chair he'd used as a stepstool and landed with a thud under the detector. 
I laughed. Oh man, I laughed like a sleep deprived crazy person. He's ok. He's better than ok. I feel so blessed to have this man as my partner in the wild ride that is parenting. He carried Charlotte from the steamy bathroom to front porch for breaths of cold, fresh air a handful of times. He cheers when she finishes her hot tea, he refills the humidifier. He adjusts her pillows and reads her books in the middle of the night. 
As we close in on midnight I sit on the couch and can't help but smile. I just brewed up a fresh pot of coffee (per Jake's request) and joined Charlotte, Jake and Yoda on the couch for a late night Ninja Turtle viewing however I could really go for some of Button's codeine right about now. 

No comments: